In an effort to keep our beaches and our planet clean, consider using an eco-friendly event venue while visiting The Beaches of Fort Myers & Sanibel. Here are some good places to start:
1. The Holiday Inn Downtown Fort Myers can seat 90 people in its Edison room and 60 more in its Ford room, with additional standing room for reception-style gatherings. It also uses the IHG Green Engage™ System, which allows the hotel to track and improve its day-to-day environmental impact, including its energy, carbon and water levels.
2. Awarded the Two Palm Green Lodging Designation by the Florida Department of Environmental Protection, the Holiday Inn Fort Myers Airport at Town Center is a great place to host a green meeting. It can seat 360 guests in its Royal Palm Ballroom, with many more in its other three event spaces.
3. The Hilton Garden Inn Fort Myers contributes its gently used and surplus goods to the Good360 charity, allowing those in need to reuse items, instead of throwing them out. With six different sized meeting spaces, it’s a great spot for your next event.
4. Courtyard Fort Myers at I-75 and Gulf Coast Town Center is a certified TripAdvisor GreenLeaders partner, so you can ensure your event is eco-friendly. There are two event rooms with 1,300 square feet of space, amd room for an 80-person reception in the Blue Heron room.
5. DiamondHead Beach Resort’s 8,000 square feet of versatile event space and 121 spacious guest rooms all just steps from the shore make it an ideal location for any meeting. Its partnerships with Florida Green Lodging, Clean the World, and the Harry Chaplin Food Bank ensure that your stay here is eco-friendly.
6. You can’t go wrong hosting an event at the Fort Myers Beach Pink Shell Beach Resort & Marina. This eco-conscious locale proudly maintains a Two Palm Green Lodging Designation and features two grand ballrooms that seat up to 180 people each. There’s also 40,000 square feet of outdoor beachside meeting and event space.
7. Sundial Beach Resort & Spa flawlessly combines business and pleasure while maintaining their status as a Florida Green Lodging Program partner. With meeting space able to accommodate up to 300 guests and amazing amenities to keep them entertained, the Sundial is Sanibel Island’s optimum event destination.
8. Hyatt Regency Coconut Point Resort & Spa boasts state-of-the-art business facilities and a Three Palm Florida Green Lodging Destination. Situated on 26 sprawling, lush acres overlooking Estero Bay – the only thing more green than this resort’s property is the way they do business.
9. The Hampton Inn & Suites in Estero specializes in intimate events and small conferences. Their highly trained staff will work with you every step of the way to ensure that your event goes off without a hitch.
While choosing a green venue is a great start, it’s important to engage in eco-friendly practices as well. To help, here are some tips from BlueGreen Meetings for meeting planners to make their events more environmentally responsible:
1. Put it in writing – Establish an environmental statement or policy for the meeting, and get buy-in on it from the meeting host organization's management. Share the policy with suppliers, delegates and speakers.
2. Use paperless technology – Use new media and electronic technology to cut down your paper use. Create a conference website, offer electronic registration and confirmation, and advertise using the Web and/or email.
3. Practice the 3 Rs – Ask your hotel and meeting venue to provide visible and accessible reduce-reuse-recycle services for paper, metal, plastic and glass.
4. Bulk up – Have your food and beverage service provider use bulk dispensers for sugar, salt, pepper, cream and other condiments.
5. Lighten your stay – Choose a hotel that offers a linen reuse program, bulk dispensers for shampoos and soaps in guest suites, and water-saving devices on toilets and faucets in all bathrooms.
6. Eat green – Include vegetarian options and plan meals using local, seasonal produce.
7. Close the recycling loop – Have all printed materials published on recycled paper, using vegetable-based inks on both sides of the page.
8. Save energy – Coordinate with the meeting venue to ensure that lights and air conditioning will be turned off when rooms are not in use.
9. Spread the word! - Tell delegates, speakers and the media about your success.
Experience the natural flair of The Beaches of Fort Myers & Sanibel meetings on our Meetings page and start planning today!
We Think You'll Also Like